Family Law Gold Coast.

Our Gold Coast family lawyers work hard to ensure that families receive only the very best outcomes available to them.
It is vital that you contact a family lawyer as soon as a separation appears likely. Making early contact with an experienced family lawyer places you in the best legal position possible for your circumstance.

Taking the first step to talk to a Family Lawyer.

Family law can be confusing. It is the area of law that deals specifically with legal issues that arise within marriages and de facto relationships. The breakdown of family relationships can be traumatic for all parties involved.
Our team of experienced family lawyers at RobertsLaw understand that this time in your life can be one of the most difficult you will ever have to face. This is why we are committed to providing Gold Coast families with the very Best Family Lawyers, who are dedicated to providing the very best legal outcome available to them. We are caring and compassionate lawyers who really understand the nature and difficulties of family dissolution.

Simplifing family legal matters.

We can help you avoid expensive litigation, and save you money. We will explain to you, your legal rights and obligations. Our lawyers work with you to quickly and cost-effectively resolve your family legal matters. We will outline for you, all of your options for dispute resolution, and work with you to secure an agreed settlement.

Amanda Tomlinson of our Mudgeeraba office is an ‘Accredited Specialist’ in Family Law and has over 10 years’ experience as a family lawyer helping families all across the Gold Coast. For sound family legal advice and strong legal representation in your family law matter, contact Amanda.

Expert Gold Coast family lawyers.

An extensive experience in a wide range of family law matters, including:

  • Divorce
  • Property Settlement & Maintenance
  • Children & Parenting Arrangements
  • Family Law / De Facto Agreements & Consent Orders
  • Court Applications and Litigation
“Never having met each other face to face and having to conduct everything by phone or email, must have made this case more difficult for Philip than normal.  I always felt completely confident in everything he did on my behalf.  At all times he was extremely professional and his advise always sound and correct.  He achieved the result I hoped for (and) I am very grateful.”
– Stephen B (NSW).

Family Law


To formally end your marriage, an application must be made to the Federal Circuit Court for a divorce. It is advised to obtain legal advice to understand your full legal rights and responsibilities before applying for a divorce. Our family law solicitors can assist you in taking the necessary steps to secure a worry-free divorce. Our divorce lawyers can help explain how the law applies to your case and provide you with the very best outcome available.

Property Settlement & Spousal Maintenance

The current family law regime recognises different types of relationships; so, whether you are married, de facto or in a same-sex relationship you need to be aware of your entitlements when it comes to property division and spousal maintenance.

There are many factors that will affect your own individual entitlements, as all relationships are unique.  Therefore, you should always be cautious about relying upon the outcome that your friends or relatives may have achieved as a result of the breakdown of their own relationship. It is always best to have your own specific entitlements assessed by a professional legal family lawyer.

Family Law / De Facto Agreements & Consent Orders

There are a number of ways to finalise property division and spousal maintenance agreements amicably without having to go to Court.  This can be achieved by entering into a Financial Agreement (a private contract) or a Consent Order (a court order without a court appearance).

Financial Agreements can also be utilised to create financial security and certainty by those considering entering into a marriage or a de facto relationship, or those who are already in one of those relationships, even if you have not and currently do not intend to separate.

There are strict requirements that must be met for a Financial Agreement to be legally valid, and therefore, it is important to ensure that you seek legal advice from one of Specialist Family Lawyer if you are considering entering into one of these documents.

Children & Parenting Arrangements

The best interests of the children are the most important principle to consider when determining what arrangements should be made for children in separating families, and this should be the overriding factor in all parenting decisions.

If you are able to reach an agreement with your former partner about parenting arrangements either by talking to each other, attending a family dispute resolution service or by negotiation through a lawyer, then you can formalise that agreement by entering into a Parenting Plan or a Consent Order.

A Parenting Plan is a written agreement about parenting arrangements. These agreements can include provisions for children to spend equal or substantial and significant time with each parent if doing so is in the child’s interests and reasonably practicable.

An agreement for parenting arrangements can also be formalised by a Consent Order.  A Consent Order does not require you to make an appearance in Court but does involve a formal application to Court for an examination by a court Registrar.  We can assist you in this process.

You should seek legal advice from our Family Law Specialist to ensure that you record any agreement for your parenting arrangements in a way that best suits your family circumstances.

Court Applications and Litigation

Court action is usually started as a last resort but can be an important step to take where time is running out, where a matter is urgent or particularly complex, where there are intractable disputes between former partners, or where a specific Order is required to compel a particular action or prevent a particular action by a former partner.

If you intend making an Application to Court about parenting matters then you may need to first attend family dispute resolution with your former partner to obtain a certificate unless your circumstances involve a matter of urgency, family violence, or you otherwise qualify as an exception to the rule.

Family Law

Take the first step and talk to an expert…